It's 'story time' again....and from the archives of my 'cleaning lady' memories....
There's this nice little lady I clean for. Last summer, we noticed quite a number of moths hanging around the house. They were annoying little beasts. Fluttering here and there just where you didn't want to see them. Often I found myself in fruitless chase of one of those pesky flying critters. Always just out of reach of my clapping hands or even the end of the vacuum hose, they were hard to catch or kill. Pretty soon we all just got used to them being around. We'd still chase them and seldom get them. Aha! But we could smack them when they landed on the wall. Mind you that left a dusty little black spot that then had to be wiped off. Oh well, at least that was one down, eh?
Now you need to understand that my little lady is a pack-rat. Maybe a nicer way to say it is that she finds lasting value in just about everything! That plus the fact that she really only wants me to be there 2 hours and to just do the vacuuming and dusting and bathrooms and floors, makes getting things really clean quite a challenge. Plus, my little lady loves to tell me various and sundry news and events and history that require my full attention and keep me from the job at hand. Me, being too polite to give her less than my undivided attention--although mentally I'm saying "Aaaargh, I gotta get done here"--I just let her tell me all she finds important at the time. All that to say that I just do the routine stuff she wants done, all the while wishing that I could really dig deeper and get at some of the hidden away dirt and clutter. But I let her make the call.
Now, back to the moth thing..... So here we a year later and--can you believe?--the moths are still bugging us! (pardon the pun) Oh, we don't see them flying around so much. In fact, I rarely see them myself. No, I just see the black spots on the wall. They are really everywhere. Little reminders of a grungy nest of something old and dirty somewhere in the house. If only I had the permission to do a thorough cleaning search through all the piles of clutter to find that nest! I could put a stop to all those nasty little black spots on the wall. But no, I am relegated to going through the house each week, cleaning spots off the wall. Spots that remind me that the nest is there somewhere. And that to get rid of the spots for good, I need to dig deep and clean out the nest!
Now. This makes me wonder what spots are on the walls of my life. And what nest do I need to clean out to stop the spots from reappearing. And am I willing to take the time and effort to clear away the clutter and mess to rid myself of something in my life that keeps cropping up like those black spots on the wall?
May I not limit my spiritual "Mr. Clean" to just spot-cleaning me. May I allow Him to cleanse and freshen me from the inside out!
Sounds like a song I once heard.....
by Gammi B
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
you even had me thinking that I want to go and find that nest. that's gross stuff.
OK GB, here's a question:
I'd really like to put a link to you on my blog but hesitate to do it in case you really intend your blog to just be for family and personal friends and I happened to find you!
May I link to you?
Hey there Carol-Ann....
I don't mind...This is all new to me. I did finally respond to your comment on the "Gifts" thing, but I guess you'd kinda given up on a response by now. As I said there, I am complimented! :o)
Gammi B.
Hey Jenn!
Thanks for your comments! They always make me smile....AND I'm looking forward to another post by you!
PS. Next time you are over, you have to show me how to put 'friends' links' onto my blog....I am so computer challenged!
Hey Gammi B...just dropping by from CarolAnn's blog - read her post about you and the unwrapped gifts! Good reminder to use what's been given in love, is much more honoring than to let it become out of date or discolored, by lack of use! Anwyays...'hello'...and I'll be back!
This reminds me of the question David asked in Psalm 139:23-24. Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
We all do need to ask ourselves this question time to time and do let God do that cleaning that needs to be done in our lives. connie from Texas
Post a Comment