So I just came back from a wedding. It was really great! The bride was beautiful and sweet and the groom was charming and studly. The food was great and the speeches were thoughtful and articulate. But the dancing--that was amazing!!! I really feel I've been robbed by my midwest Bible belt upbringing... Dancing was absolutely a big 'no no'. I remember sitting on the edge of the gym in grade 3 or 4 while all the other kids were learning square dancing. No way would that be allowed! And Christian kids never went to school dances or proms! Nuh uh! (that's midwest for "No way!") But tonight, as at a few other weddings, I watched with rapt romanticism as the bride was swept around the dance floor by her groom and then the parents, and even grandparents, of the happy couple floated over the floor to the wonderful tunes of "What a Wonderful World", "Can I Have This Dance for the Rest of My Life", etc. etc. And then there was all the fun stuff like "Rock Around the Clock", "Rah, Rah, Rasputin", "Y.M.C.A.", etc. etc. Such a wonderful, joyful, fun celebration. People just enjoying one another's company--children, seniors(who by the way are the best dancers!!) married couples, young people, moms and kids, brothers and sisters--all together celebrating a happy occasion by dancing the night away. Sometimes you just need to dance! I'm not sure I could even learn at this stage of life....maybe. I think I'd like to try sometime...maybe.
When we left, I was just tired from all the dancing I did in my mind....ha. I think dancing was surely God's idea....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
AHA! Gammi B, you and I was doin' the same thing and drawing the veryun same conclusions on Saturday!
Finally, I stood up, I did, tapped my big and strapping nephew on the shoulder and pointed to the dance floor! My brother (who had just given his daughter away)looked as if the world was truly upside down! But he wasn't about to miss it and I saw two video cameras and countless digital flashes as I laughed and stumbled and galloped and tripped across the floor with my three left feet and my dashing nephew! It's truly been a LONG time since I had so much fun!
As usual, thoroughly enjoyed you little post!
Phew!!! NO comments for what seemed like a long time....thot I was gonna have to wear the 'scarlet letter'---(if you know that book)---only mine would be a D.
Thank you for your comment...I'm glad you had such a wonderful time!! I still have some inhibitioins to overcome before I tap anyone on the shoulder.. :P
Post a Comment