One of my first blogs was about taking a job and then finding out that it was much harder than I ever thought it would be. It was all about working with a sweet young lady (23) who is almost totally incapacitated. Her only means of communication is to blink her eyes in response to yes or no questions. She basically has no physical capabilities. She is totally dependent on those who care for her and care about her. However, her mind is sharp, and she has an amazing sense of humor! She has a smile that turns her whole countenance on 'high beam'! And when she is feeling mischevious, she can't hide it. You know something is up. She is a very gracious person, patient with those whose job it is to learn her daily routines and how to position her in her chair or bed. If we goof, she often takes it with humor and grace. I consider it such a privilege to be part of her life, even though it is such a small part. She has an amazing family and an amazing network of friends who have also discovered her amazingness. Does it seem like I'm using 'amazing' a lot?? Well, there's really no other word....at the moment at least.
I really hadn't planned on writing about my friend today. I was gonna write something totally different. But this just happened! She is such a blessing. One of those sort of hidden out of the way blessings that you find--like a pretty little blossom in the crevice of a rock somewhere. Maybe I'll write some more about her later. She is an inspiration.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hi Gammi B
We are now back from the annual get-away at a cottage in Northern Ontario. Over the years, my work has also given me the opportunity to be in similar situations as you've described here. Sure helps to pull in the lip of a personal pout to spend some time with someone like that, doesn't it!
In your blogger profile you mention "Westward Ho" by Charles Kingsley. Did you know it can be read on line? Here's the link:
Westward Ho
HI! I haven't always left comments, but I had to after reading this post! I think it's also 'amazing' how, you've gone from feeling the job was more than you could do, to it being a blessing! That totally sounds like the kind of thing God does, eh?!!
Post a Comment