Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Gifts

Here's a little story that I've been saving....for quite some time now....
I'm a cleaning lady. I work mainly with elderly folk who need a helping hand. Dusting, vacuuming, washing floors and cleaning bathrooms. For some of my peeps I also am a listening ear. You might say I 'get all the dirt'. Ha. That's okay too. I also get to hear their fun stuff too.
Several years back, one customer was showing me a cute little gift she received from a friend for Christmas. It was a nice little basket of stationery all wrapped in cellophane, with note cards and writing paper and envelopes and even a note pad. I thought, 'Cute--that'd sure make me want to write a letter or note to someone.' It sat in the living room for several weeks until the clutter of Christmas was all put away. Then I noticed it in the bedroom under a chair.
It still hasn't moved--except when I pick it up to vacuum. It's still in the cellophane, tattered as it is. I try to dust it off sometimes. It's beginning to look quite sad. Outdated too. Too bad. Truth be known, there's a box of chocolates and another of cookies that I've had to dust around for over a year too.
It makes me wonder what gifts have been given to me that are getting dusty and tattered and wasting away due to lack of use. What have I hidden away or put on a shelf in a closet and why? The gift of encouragement? Of teaching? Of hospitality? Of wisdom? Of love?
1 Peter 4:10 "As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."
Unwrap your presents and USE 'em and ENJOY 'em and SHARE 'em!!

2 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Gammi B, you speak my language somehow! With your permission I'd like to post your "little story" on my blog with a link back to yours for credit. I stumbled over here quite awhile ago through a cybertrail from Small Child -- you outdid yourself on your first post and I just had to keep comin' back for more! :)

Gammi B said...

Let's see...my first post was....."Hello".....I REALLY outdid myself.... ;o) (That's suupposed to be a wink...)
Well I must say that I am complemented by your interest....
You may put me as a link...
If you really want to--I think....(Sounds poetic, no?)